Tuesday 20 November 2007

Planning Hands and Changing Plans!

So I am trying to plan my plays in advance but at the same time trying to re-evaluate each street. That is a little confusing but this hand today was a very good example of what I mean.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1722092

Pre Flop:
Original Raiser is playing 26/18/2.4 and has a pretty wide range. Caller is short stacked and a bit of a loose/passive calling station and I call with AJo. My plan is to play the station for his short stack if I hit an A or J.

Flop:
Jack hits and i'm in business. I check, original raiser cbets as expected and station calls as expected. I make my planned check/raise expecting original raiser to fold and station to call which effectivley puts him all in, but no.......the wrong villain calls and my plan has failed. Not quite sure what to put this guy on but sure am not happy with my TPTK out of position anymore.

Turn:
Straight draws have got there but I am still not sure what to put him on. In any case I am not prepared to play TPTK for stacks. I am trying hard not to make bad plays when my original plan has not worked out and have therefore given this one up. I check with the intention of folding to his bet. He checks and now I am totally confused.

River:
Another Jack. Now I am thinking I am in front!! Another change of plan. There is no way he not betting the turn with a set and therefore he hasn't filled a boat. His flop call suggests a draw or a set but his lack of turn bet suggests he missed a draw. If my read is correct then he has a busted flush draw and will fold if I lead out so I check. He bets pots which convinces me he has air (why bet so much?), I shove and he folds for 30BB more in a 265BB pot!!

I was very happy with myself here, spoke with Aaron from the coaching group and he agreed with the read. Going to post on forum and also send to Verneer to see if my line is OK or I just got lucky.......

No comments: