Thursday 24 January 2008

January has been cut short !

I have just finished 'The Poker Minsdet' and can highly recommend this book. It was pure coincidence that I was going through my first real downswing on the cash games - downswings are much more common in large field MTT's - and the book really helped me focus on the right things.

As a direct result of reading this book I have decided to end January early and change the way I judge my results. I will no longer be setting monthly targets, such as "play 30,000 hands at 4+ BB/100", as I now understand that my monetary results are out of my hands, to a certain extent at least.

Instead I will break my results up into 10,000 hand sections, followed by extensive review. I will then set targets for the next 10,000 hands based on the review and experience of the previous section.

My targets for the next 10,000 hands are therefore as follows:

1. Use site specific Bankrolls. 100NL FTP. 50NL Stars.
2. Play only 2 tables.
3. Range Equity Maximise
4. Monitor and develop 3-betting strategy
5. Try and remove emotion from all decisions
6. Watch and make notes on 1 opponent each session
7. Practice good table selection
8. Use time bank for difficult decisions
9. Accept that if I play well I can still lose in the short term and vice versa

I could go on but that is probably enough for now.............

1 comment:

Marc said...

I'm just about finished with Elements of Poker...Poker Mindset is next, although I might go back over EOP a second time...it's that good, IMO. I am with you in removing a number of hands threshold. I play so little that I pretty much always want to play...I rather need to control my playing so that when I am playing, it's my A game, B game at worst. That will mean playing fewer hands than otherwise, but the quality of those hands will be higher.

You've got some excellent goals for the next 10k, good luck!