Friday 6 June 2008

Poker Tracker - It's all over!

My relationship with Poker Tracker is coming to a close.

I have been constantly changing my mind on the whole PT3 vs HM issue and have stayed loyal to Poker Tracker predominately for the following reasons:

1. PT2 was a great product.
2. PT2 support was fantastic.
3. PT3 beta was buggy, but this is expected of any beta and the commercial release promised to have everything I was looking for
4. PT3 had a ‘secret’ feature to be unveiled with the commercial release that would blow away all competition
5. HM looked good but had a limited trial of 2,500 hands
6. HM would take more getting used to (in other words PT is the easy option)
7. HM support was a little lacking

In view of the above I pre-ordered the PT3 commercial release. Unfortunately this has proven to be a mistake and I have just read on the forums that they have decided not to give any more refunds.

It has come to light since I pre-ordered that:

1. PT3 has been released far too soon.
2. The commercial release is less stable than the unstable beta.
3. People responsible for PT3 are not the same guys as PT2. I think pat sold out.
4. The new people are offhand and unprofessional (some are borderline rude) on the forums when customers dare to complain about the lack of functionality.
5. They have a support ticket system which is overloaded and they have decided best policy is to ignore all tickets. Their attitude now is along the lines of ‘you people should realise we have more important things to do than reply to the support tickets.’
6.The PT3 ‘secret’ feature happens to be a fish finder/tables selection tool that will require a monthly subscription and is actually an add on from a ‘business partner’. There are other similar products available for a one off payment.

It is acknowledged by the new PT3 people that HM is a currently a far superior product.

PT3 are relying on the loyalty and patience of their existing customers whilst they catch up, and are supremely confident (some would say arrogant) that PT3 will blow away the competition when it is fully functional.

This is all well and good if PT3 was close to being fully functional but it isn’t. Another thing they haven’t grasped is that HM is also adding new features and not standing still waiting for PT3 to catch up. I am starting to doubt it ever will.

So today I have taken the plunge and paid for HM. Am currently waiting for my validation code and looking forward to getting all my hands imported. I’m sure there will be some teething problems but I’m ready to take them on. (Note to my IT Consultant aka Aaron – you are on call this weekend!)I have effectively written off the amount I paid for PT3 (did I mention they won’t give any more refunds because too many people want one?) but maybe one day I will be enticed back by the fully functional version.

It will probably be PT4 by then though and I will be expected to pay again!

No comments: