Thursday 6 March 2008

I got lucky

Last night was weird.

First up I did a video review for one of my students and then played a couple of 200NL sessions.

First session I felt completely at ease with my game, more than ever before. I was playing well, making tough but correct folds, and making some well timed moves against decent lags. I was planning hands, sticking to my plans but adjusting where necessary, I was well and truly in the zone. I only won a buy in or so but when I finished the session I was very pleased with my play.

I then had a break and some food and later sat down to play again. I'm not sure what happened to me during the break but I came back to play some of the worst poker I have ever played!

I am not kidding, I was truly awful and I thank the poker gods for smiling on me just this once. Overall I booked a decent win for the day, yet I am really pissed off with myself for playing so bad.

I have never felt bad about winning before. I like winning.

The worst thing is that that I cannot work out why I played so bad and therefore can't think of an adjustment to make. Normally I can identify some contributory factor (eg. i was tired, i will stop playing tired) but the only thing I can think of in this case is that I started to think poker is easy and I was invincible.

Or maybe I just cannot handle sucking out in a big pot and just have to do everything I can to get the money back to the intended recipient as soon as possible. If that is true I have developed a major new leak!

No comments: