Friday 26 October 2007

Coaching Kenny

I have started to give a friend of mine some coaching. He has been playing poker much longer than me (and plays more than me probably) but has never made any money apart from a single success in a $10 MTT with 2000+ starters where he won over $5,000. I watched the last couple of hours and he just could not miss when all in and way behind - this happened numerous times and he had over 3/4 of the chips in play going into the final table!!

Anyway he has been wasting his roll playing badly in sit and goes and complaining about the 'bad beats' ever since. When I moved from MTT's to 6 max a few months ago he started playing some 50NL too. The bad beat stories continued and I have now finally convinced him it is actually his play that is the problem.

He is now at 25NL. I made him a short 20 min video on the very basics of pre flop play (another October target acheived) to try and change him from 30/10 pre flop to hopefully around 20/18. He will never read a book. I got him to buy Harrington 1 & 2 as couple of years ago as these were my MTT bibles. He is half way through Volume 1!

The video seems to have had a positive effect and he now thinks he is the best player in the world again! I will let him run with it for a few days, wait for his bb/100 to drop down from over 20 (again he cannot miss a flop) and then try and get him working on his post flop play, specifically c-bets and flop texture.

Thinking about his game seems to be having a positive effect on my game too so we are both gaining from this.

No comments: