Thursday 14 February 2008

Coaching

I have been thinking about coaching for some time and am almost ready to coach people playing 50NL and below. Just need to work out rates etc.

Cardrunners are looking to officially endorse some coaches and hopefully I will be getting involved with that although I am sure they will have a lot of people to choose from. My coach is on the panel so hopefully he thinks I am good enough....he didn't tell me to stop dreaming when we discussed it so that is a good start :-)

From my reasearch is seems that potential students are particulary interested in the stats of the people offering their services as a coach.

I think there should be a bit more to it as stats can be manipulated to look better than they actually are. Honest stats can also be skewed by many different variables. For example I have been experimenting a lot with different plays and styles at 100NL lately and that has a huge affect on my short term win rate. Long term it will benefit me greatly as I now have a better understanding of how my opponents are thinking and can adapt accordingly.

The site and tables you play also have a huge effect on stats. On one site my style is 18/16/5 and the same level on a different site is more like 25/21/3.

When I was first looking for coaching I just wanted to be able to play 'LAG' as I thought this was optimal. I now realise that the style you play should be flexible based on the table you are playing and more specifically the seat you have at that table.

I aim to teach my students a Flexible Aggressive style or 'FLAG'.

Just a footnote on Marc's comment on my last post regarding filters. I am still searching for a solution and PT3 is proving to be a real pain. Beta 4 has been released but they are using PostgreSQL 8.3 which is not supported by PT2 from what I understand. I spent sooooo much time trying to get beta 3 to work, and beta 4 has the potential to screw up my system yet again. I'm not going to chance it so will wait for PT3 final version to be released.

Have been using the cardrunners session replayer though which is pretty cool and highlights the pots you have been involved in.

4 comments:

Aaron said...

NOOOOOOOOOOO u cant coach.. you just cant.... theres less and less fish in the games as it is :(

Best of luck with that though mate.

On the PT2/3 postgres front. why did you upgrade to 8.3? was this when you had PC problems and just got the latest version or what?

Mr Fickle said...

The problems were vista/pt3 beta3 issues. I haven't upgraded to postgres 8.3 as I am scared it will stop my PT2 database working.

Am happy to wait until PT3 is fully functional anyway, it looks quality.

Aaron said...

Ok cool. good stuff. yeah few bugs in PT3. slowly getting there tho.

I look forward to my free lesson :)

GL@ the tables

Marc said...

The PT3 beta will still run with older versions of Postgre, so you don't have to upgrade to 8.3 if you're also running PT2. I'm still using Postgre 8.0 :P

I'm on XP, but I don't think that makes a difference in terms of which versions of Postgre PT3 would be compatible with.