Monday 16 March 2009

Self Coaching

Yesterday I got some nice feedback from a new student:

"I have been playing winning poker for nearly 40 years, observing good players, and reading books and articles by the dozens. I can honestly say that I learned more in a 2 ½ hour coaching session with Steve, than I did from all that observation and study. With his review of my hand histories, Steve was able to immediately point out the weaknesses in my game, and instruct me on how to improve them. His coaching style is pleasant and he is clearly very knowledgeable of the subject matter."

I clearly talk a good game and am able to improve my students thought process pretty quickly yet I do not practice what I preach as often as I should.

A lot of times lately I have been reviewing my hands and thinking my students would be getting a hard time from me if it were their play we were looking at rather than mine.

My wife has now started to notice it too! 'Why did you do that when I hear you telling your students the opposite every day?' is fast becomming a FAQ in our house and in view of this I have decided to self coach for a while and put myself through my own coaching programme.

Hopefully I will be able to start listening to my own advice :)

No comments: